Cup Motherwell v Dundee United 20/09/2024

SteelmaninOZ

A cracking end to the night after a dire first 45 minutes with Goodwin and Kettlewell doing their best Steve Clarke impersonations. The second half was better and we should probably have scored a few more. Big performances from Oxborough, Casey and Miller with Kaleta doing well off the bench and Moses delivering more magic in the box.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Robinson does a lot of work but......he is a striker so job is supposed to be to score goals.    Hopefully tonight is the night especially as ex Dundee man.

COYW

"So here's to you Zach Robinson, well fans love you more than you will know.....whoaaa ho hooooo"

What a night, absolutely buzzing. We deserved it and bar a shaky 10 min spell were better team. Ox outstanding save, miller different class but credit to all players and what a crowd and I include the utd support in huge numbers.  Bring on Hampden. 

Only confusing moment was some fans booing moult, didn't quite understand that, but hey ho.

COYW

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

100% this VAR should be binned immediately it's ruining the game

Aye agree fully but it makes great cheap tv hours talking about the decisions, so its here to stay , unfortunately if you attend matches your view doesn’t count anymore tv rules.

4 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Great to see Robinson get first goal hopefully many more to come and Lennon Miller is just such a baller he is getting better and better by the game just oozes confidence for such a young man.

Just a brilliant night and Moses could go on Strictly with those fast feet lol.

Quite agree and to be fair I thought Moult's goal was vintage  Louis. Thank God Goodwin didn't have him  on from the start. Such a wee shame for the manager 🤣.

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

Like what?

Touches and passes show up in stats so it must be something that doesn't involve ball. 

First of all I hope you enjoyed his goal tonight.

Secondly he literally has the best pass completion stats of any one in the squad.  Also best stats on dribbling.

Thirdly do I really need to explain the game to you?  You know as well as I do that just holding the ball up for a couple of seconds can have a big effect on a match.  Or just running into or standing in an area,  Or putting your foot on the ball and bringing it under control. Or drawing a foul. or an almost infinite number of other actions.

• Like 2

Wow!

Didnt turn up for 44 minutes then bang, what a goal. Then dominated United until Moulty put in his own perler, then the last 20 mins was a proper ding dong cup tie!

Great fun!

Thought Robinson had his best game so far. No bad performances although personally think Maswahise is far better out wide than through the middle. Miller is a different class of player - no doubts when he stepped up to hit the pen. The Ox continues to impress, the boy who came on right wing was more than decent & best of all, the fir park crowd were outstanding! What a night

A game where winning was more important than a good performance.

The performance wasn't bad as such but It was a very tight, scrappy match, especially first half.  Was crying out for a bit more composure, only Lennon Miller seemed to be able to take a touch and control the ball.  Wasn't many chances for either team but I thought Dundee Utd, maybe just edged it in overall play but there wasn't much between the teams.

Scored at a great time and looked like a fantastic finish. No chance for the keeper.

Second half we started the better team and had a period of pressure and most of the chances but nothing clear cut.  About 70 minutes or so you could see us starting to time waste, falling deeper and Dundee Utd started looking likely to equalise.  Great save by Ox kept us ahead but it was almost inevitable that Moult would score and it was a great finish to be fair.

It's one of those weird things in football that it was almost a relief when Utd scored cos you always felt we'd play further up the pitch at 1-1 than we did at 1-0.  

Last period of the game was fairly end to end and we always looked a threat at that stage of the match.  The guys that came off the bench did well, though Kaleta was good going forward in the latter stages.  And we should all know that Ebiye coming off the bench gives you something up top.

I'm not 100% on Davor but I thought he had a decent match tonight.  

On Robinson up top, we are playing a system where we have been competitive in every game, Top 6 in the league and are in the semi final of the League Cup.  There's the big picture for those that don't see it.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

100% this VAR should be binned immediately it's ruining the game

We can dream. Most of the live games I watch these days has no VAR, and players and fans just get on with it.

Controversial decision? Moan at the ref for a minute, but shut up quickly because the ball is back in play and the game's moved on.

Score a goal? Quick glance at the linesman to see it's onside then immediate celebrations.

Was that a pen? Ref shakes his head, zero second stoppage.

I was always against VAR for reasons I stated a few times before it was introduced. It's actually turned out worse than I feared.

We were very passive tonight and a bit pedestrian and times , however I defy anyone to say we weren't worth our win. Quite simply we were the better of two ordinary teams tonight. Unusually the crowd turned up and we got the result. Fabulous turn out and when all said n done it doesn't matter a fuck how you play in the cup , its getting through that matters. Disappointed in the fans who booed Moult. Even after all his team mates had disappeared of the park he applauded the Motherwell fans. Not going to go into who was good bad or indifferent I don't give a flying fuck. We had a big crowd and they rewarded them with a win. These night come along so rarely lets not over analyse it.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed that tonight.

Vales injury restricted our starting lineup and as such the first half was quite predictible. We were resolute in defence, Yinited played some nice stuff without hurting us and we looked dangerous at set pieces.

The goal changed things for us and I thought second half we dominated until they made their subs and Moult got his obligatory goal.

We responded well though and I felt we throughly deserved the win in the end.

We are still a work in progress and will be much better once we get our injured players back, but given SOD and Vale are the latest victims of the curse, who knows when that will be.

Man, this whisky tastes good tonight!

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What will probably go unnoticed was big Moses footwork leading up to the penalty. For a big guy its was some niffty stuff. 

Well said,it was brilliant footwork to win us the penalty,between that and the goals he's scored,he really is a very good penalty box striker.