Jordan Connerton

numpty

Vincent Pericard is a good shout, seen him play for Carlisle a fair few times and aside from against Bradford when some big carthorse man handled him all game and got away with it, hes caused the opposition big problems. Highly doubt he'd sign for us, reckon he'll be off to a higher league 1 team/lower championship or stay put at Carlisle.

• 2 months later...

That closes this one then....

Crewe Alex: Prolific frontman Jordan Connerton ready for step up

Mar 24 2010 by Peter Morse, Crewe Chronicle

JORDAN Connerton hopes to be the next Luke Varney, writes Jamie Oliver.

The 20-year-old striker signed a three-year deal at the Alexandra Stadium on Friday and already has his sights set on a big move up the leagues.

The Lancaster City youngster has been training with the Railwaymen on the recommendation of chief scout Neil Baker – the same man who spotted Varney at minnows Quorn FC.

Now Connerton hopes to be the next success story to make his name at Crewe.

He said: “I’m delighted to be here and to be given the opportunity.

“I’ve loved my time on trial here and they are a great bunch of lads.

“The club has a great reputation for bringing non-league lads in and selling them on for big money. I want to be next on that list.”

It’d be difficult to bet against Connerton achieving his aim – his goalscoring tally of 35 and counting this season is no mean feat by any standards.

But he thought his chance at the big time had gone after a deal with Scottish Premier League side Motherwell fell through.

He explained: “I’ve waited for a few years now to be given a break. I broke my ankle a while back and that halted my progress.

“I was supposed to be signing for Motherwell but it didn’t happen.

“I thought it might never happen for me but I just kept plugging away and scoring.

“I’m determined to work hard and get some goals to help Crewe get promotion next year.

“Not many players like me get offered three years but it shows the faith they have in me.

“I’ve now got to work hard and repay them.”

Connerton will continue training at Reaseheath while finishing the season on loan at UniBond North leaders Lancaster, where he hopes to gain promotion.

He said: “It’s tight and we’re a point ahead of second place. I really want to get them promoted being my hometown club.”

Manager Dario Gradi said Connerton is different to any of the strikers already at the club.

He added: “The fairest thing for him is to give him time.

“Varney took over two years to come through but it was money well spent. If he does as well as Varney, we’ll be delighted.”

How do I come to that conclusion?

Well He`s a 20 year old striker with bags of pace + an incredible strike rate,has had trials at some big clubs in England where many many people have given him top reviews, plus Gannon was desperate to sign him (his strike rate for not only signing guys but unearthing non league gems cannot be questioned) so Id say a fee of around £10k would have been worth paying for what some might see as taking a chance

How do I come to that conclusion?

Well He`s a 20 year old striker with bags of pace + an incredible strike rate,has had trials at some big clubs in England where many many people have given him top reviews, plus Gannon was desperate to sign him (his strike rate for not only signing guys but unearthing non league gems cannot be questioned) so Id say a fee of around £10k would have been worth paying for what some might see as taking a chance

Reviews realy don't count for anything if they don't sign him though.

What would you say would be money well spent - £10k on Connerton or adding an extra £10k onto the wages/signing on fee of some of the players who we're currently discussing contracts with?

hence,

Gannon may well be an employee of Crewe Alexandra before next season :lol:

Aye but u asked how I came to the conclusion it would be worth paying £10k for him, Yes Gannon could very well be Crewe boss next year,but the boy was identified by him while at Motherwell, we seemed to have stole a march on other teams and he is/was being advised by Alan Lord who I believe is still a 1st team coach here?

Not that bothered we havent signed him if it means we can get JOB,Hateley,Coke,Jenno etc signed but just believe it could be another oversight that could cost us a potential windfall